The Catholic Cemetery covers an area approximately 60m x 65m and is about 2 km south of Gundaroo on the eastern side of the Canberra road opposite the junction with Back Creek Road. Until recently (2008) it was very overgrown and many of the monuments are in a poor state of repair. Remediation work by the Gundaroo Community Association has significantly inproved the area. Futher details here.
The land was gift from Donald Roderick Macleod who died in 1862 and is buried at Bairnsdale (Lat 35.01.30 S Long 149.15.20 E).
The first interments were in 1857, being Mrs Mary Hughes of Mugwill and Mrs Bridget Donnelly of Bywong. Both memorials can still be seen. The latest interment appears to have been in the 1950s.
A diagram of the area and inscriptions on the headstones may be found in the following links:
Please address requests for photographs/images,
and send comments or queries, to Graeme Challinor
Post Office Gundaroo, NSW 2620, Australia
Phone 02 62368166